Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shelled Pecans

You know when you hold something in your hand...and it represents so much more than the object?

For me, today, it was shelled pecans.

My parents' new house is in the midst of a pecan grove, on a "campus" where they could live in a condo...or an apartment...or assisted living...or the Alzheimer's Memory unit...or full care living. As my mom so succinctly put it, "when we leave this place, they'll be taking us out feet first."

That's my mom for ya. A truth teller. *and a "Happy New Year Feathered Crown Wearer" as the above photo demonstrates*

My folks seem to love it where they are. They "down-sized" a few years ago, but even so, this new place is very much like all their other houses. They have a knack for making every place "home". Dad was in the Air Force, so we moved a lot over the years. I've always said that you could walk into any one of those houses and be in exactly the same living room.

Comforting really.

Mom and Dad's new home, to me, represents so many things. Some of which I'll choose to acknowledge at another time. For now, this is what I choose to acknowledge:

My parents have a lot of things going on every day. Good stuff. Life enriching stuff. They also have some new health issues. This must make them grumpy. Actually I'm pretty darn sure it does. Trust me on this. Mostly, though, they are still the same people they always have been...only more so.
*note to self, who you are as a young adult is likely to be greatly magnified as you get older...so carefully cultivate who you'd like your grandkids to see...*

Their new lifestyle is a good one. It's not the old one, but it's a good one.

I'm not big on change. Never have been, and -I'm tempted to say- never will be. (guess I'll hold off on
actually saying that only because I think it's mildly interesting to entertain the thought of embracing change)

So what was my point here?

Shelled pecans.

Those pecans are all about my parent's new life. My father picked them up off the ground around their house. He shelled them. My mom bagged them up and sent them to me. They're mine. Won't share 'em, so don't even ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home