Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's a God Thing

Today one of our students came into the office wanting to see the nurse. He didn't look good. In fact, his face was scraped up and one cheek had a good sized knot on it.

I know what you're thinking..."it's another fight story."

Well, sort of.

Here's how it goes:

Last night, he left his home angry. Got on his bike and rode towards the island. He stopped on the bridge. At some point in time, a truck drives by. One of the passengers yells at him to "GET THE F--- OFF THE BRIDGE" - to which he responds, "I'LL DO WHATEVER THE F--- I WANT!"

Bad idea.

The truck turns around, comes back to him. The passenger jumps out and hits him once in the face. Tries to take his bike. He trips over his own bike and falls down. The passenger then kicks him several times in the face. He's actually not sure how many times because he apparently lost consciousness. When he woke up, he heard his cell phone ringing in the road.

*** "Where's the God thing??" ***

Right here.

The phone call was from his family who were quite worried about him. They knew he was on the bridge, and they were worried about what he was going to do. It's not like this is a great big huge bridge. But...it's a bridge. If you jump off and miss the water, the outcome won't be good. Might not be good even if you hit the water.

I asked him if he had been planning to jump. He said ... well...he didn't think so...but just before the truck went by, he was standing there thinking about what everyone would think and do if he jumped.

Guess he didn't get to finish that thought, because that truck
did turn around. If it hadn't, we might be grieving the loss of another kid this year.

So yeah, I think it was a God thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes that was a God thing. That story left a pit in my stomach. This job I took this year and the children I see have changed my life forever. I love it, but I get that pit of sorrow in my stomach watching how many chidren have just had the misfortune of been born into familes where they are neglected. Like you, I am a connector and it' not an easy job. I think it was a little easier working out on the playground at recess.
I like your blog, I can relate. I love your recent entry about graduation, it moved me. Have a great Tuesday. I also heard in my class about the Mom falling on the cat and the 20 stitches. I don't get it.

May 26, 2008 at 9:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home